MVC version?

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Hi guys,

I inquired before Christmas regarding the MVC version, and was advised it would be available around February.  Since it's now almost May, I was wondering where this project stands, and if you could provide a new estimated release timeframe.

 

Thanks!

 

Steve

 

Developer
May 6, 2010 at 1:10 PM
Edited May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Hi Steve,

We have already been using the MVC version of the framework for internal projects these months, which served us to test, explore and enhance its capabilities, but it has undergone a severe revision and has been refactored greatly in the past 3 months which has delayed the release. 

Looking backwards, we think it has been a good idea not to release it around Feb as we first estimated, as there would have been a massive list of breaking changes in core parts. The problem is that we now need to do all the documentation for all this.

Having said that, and as it seems you're interested in the project, I'd like to share with you one of the debates we have about the next release. It's wether to release Signum Framework 2.0:

- For .Net 3.5 without web for the people that cannot upgrade yet to .net 4.0, and shortly afterwards release another version that also includes web directly for .Net 4.0 and asp.net mvc 2.0, or

- For .Net 3.5 with web for asp.net mvc 1.0, and afterwards release another version for .net 4.0 and asp.net 2.0, or

- Adapt it and release it directly for .Net 4.0

Regarding the 2nd possibility, the problem with releasing web for asp.net mvc 1.0 is that all the views/controls/javascripts/css/images of the framework are inside a class library project, so with a bit of a hack we managed to use them but you lose a lot of control over it (no intellisense, no debugging, etc). This could probably be solved with the multiproject-Areas concept of asp.net mvc 2.0, so we wonder if it's useful at all releasing for asp.net mvc 1.0.

So I guess it's more probable that we go for option 1, bypassing this problem and having to wait less for the release than in option 3.

What do you think about all this?

Kind regards,

Antonio